I don’t know abut you, but I I find muffins to be a fantastic choice for an on-the-go breakfast – depending on the ingredients. I know what you’re thinking though – breakfast muffins are always usually loaded with sugar or have the taste and texture of cardboard. We’ve all experienced those muffins. However, today there’s no need to be suspicious; these breakfast muffins are both nutritious and delicious! Yep, I know, I just rhymed my praises for these muffins. What can I say, I’m a food-dork.
While I might be a tad silly, these muffins are serious business and are full of a power-pop of nutritious ingredients to rev up your day. Loaded up with healthy fats, fibre and protein, these coconut flour muffins are naturally gluten-free and stuffed to the brim with some old-school superfood favourites – natural yoghurt, flax meal, walnuts, banana and strawberries. Simply mix in a few eggs and you’ll fill full and energised until lunch.
I mentioned that I’ve used coconut flour as the base for this recipe – don’t you love it? – it’s a great choice for all high-fibre and high-protein breakfast baking adventures. I love it’s taste and I love that it also makes for some deliciously moist muffins. Winner! You’ll also notice that there’s no added sugar in this recipe, so make sure to use some extra-ripe bananas to give you all the fruity flavour and sweetness you’ll need. Afterall, you’re sweet enough already, right? 🙂
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 large, ripe, mashed bananas
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 100g sliced strawberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 6-hole texan muffin pan with muffin cases or baking paper.
- Sift coconut flour in a large bowl and add salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir well to combine.
- In another bowl combine eggs, flax eggs, bananas and yoghurt, mixing well
- Make a well in the flour and pour in wet ingredients in 3 lots, stirring well with each addition.
- Add strawberries and walnuts and fold through gently. Distribute batter evenly between muffin holes, bake for 30min or until golden and skewer inserted ito muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in tray for 10minute and turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.