14 days until Christmas, that’s crazy right? I’m generally a bit blase about holidays but am very excited this year as Kam and I are heading to Sydney next weekend. This will be my first Christmas with my family since I moved down here and it’s also my first visit back home in two years. I feel really slack after having typed that, as that’s much too long between visits! On top of this we’re also having Polish Christmas with Kam’s mum this weekend, so I’m lucky enough to be celebrating Christmas with family twice as hard this year!
With all this journeying around to organise I’ve been stocking up our pantry for our wonderful friend who’ll be house-sitting for us from next weekend (love you sunshine!) and planning snacks for our 10 hour drive to Sydney. While we were originally going to stay overnight in Albury-Woodonga, Kam is keen to slugit out in one go and I’ve been tasked with keeping up his energy levels for the drive.
These raw gingerbread men may take a little while to prepare in the dehydrator but are well worth the effort. I’ve made them 4 times in total so far. The first two times to perfect the recipe, and the last two…. well because they are so delicious! Raw, vegan and grain-free; there’s all the spices and ginger flavour you expect from your holiday gingerbread with the health benefits of fibre-rich medjool dates with almond meal. They’re the perfect chewy consistency and store well at room temperature or the fridge for a few days (if they last that long). So get out your gingerbread man cookie cutters (or stars, christmas tree shapes) etc, and lets unleash your inner cookie monster for the holidays!
Merry Christmas for the 25th, and Happy Holidays to you all
- 15 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in water to soften
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- a little water (if needed)
- Line two dehydrator trays with teflex sheets or baking paper. Drain the dates, reserving a little of the soaking water.
- Add all ingredients into the bowl of a blender or food processor and process until mixture forms a 'dough'. Add a little of the reserved soaking water to help the dough come together if necessary.
- Turn dough onto a flat surface and either roll out and use cookie cutters to cut out gingerbread men, or place cookie cutter on prepared dehydrator trays and push dough into cookie cutter to make gingerbread men shapes before removing cutter and repeating.
- Dehydrate at 110F for 12 hours or until desired consistency. At the time recommended the cookies will be firm, yet chewy. Makes 8-12 depending on size of cutter.
This post is shared at: Rachael’s Raw Food, Allergy Free Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, TGIF Link Party, My Meatless Mondays, Recipe Sharing Monday, Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party, Healing with Food Friday, Whole Food Fridays, Simple Meals Friday, Recipe Sharing Monday,
Latest posts by Alison Murray (see all)
- Recipe Redux: Choc Chip Protein Banana Bread - November 22, 2015
- The Recipe Redux: Salted Date and Cashew Energy Balls - October 22, 2015
- Pucker Up Lemon Coconut Protein Bars - October 12, 2015
- Product Review: The Ultimate Australian Wellness Bundle - October 6, 2015
- Immune Boosting Garden Herb Stock - October 4, 2015