I recently got myself a nut milk bag. I sprout constantly, have attempted a sourdough culture and I really love making coconut milk kefir. But my own non-dairy milks? Now that I hadn’t done. Nothing much happened with my new purchase at first. As excited as I was, I couldn’t decide what I wanted to make. Now? I’m thoroughly addicted.
Quinoa milk isn’t a beverage I’ve bought or tried before but I was already cooking a batch of mixed ancient grain (coloured) quinoa to go with lunch today. I ended up with the quinoa in my stirfry and a glass of Cinnamon Quinoa Milk to wash it down with. The leftover pulp from milk making? Perfect with my morning muesli or oats – no wastage here if I can help it.
So, if you’re like me and have only drunk your nut, seed or grain milks from a package I have incredibly good news for you – making your own milk is ridiculously easy! They taste better – fresh, delicious and clean with no oils or additives. Yum!
- 1 cup quinoa grain
- 2 cups + 5 - 6 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (optional)
- Either soak quinoa overnight in water and drain on the day of cooking OR rinse quinoa under running water to remove bitter saponins.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water.
- Add cooked quinoa to blender with 2 cups of water. Blend on high until smooth
- Add water to the desired consistency, blending the mixture after each addition. Up to 6 cups total of water may be needed for the consistency of store-bought non-dairy milks. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon and agave if using
- Pour milk into nut milk bag, hold over a bowl or large jug. Massage contents until all liquid has passed through the material - leaving only the 'pulp' behind.
Do you make your own nut milk? What’s your favourite variety to drink?
More Great Food Articles From Around the Net
Latest posts by Alison Murray (see all)
- Anti-Inflammatory Carrot & Three Ginger Soup - August 4, 2014
- Wholefood Blender Party (21) + Creamy Kiwi Apple Smoothie - August 1, 2014
- Sourdough Bread for Beginners - July 27, 2014
- Making a Sourdough Starter From Scratch – Day 7 + Sourdough Banana Choc Nib Waffles - July 26, 2014
- Making a Sourdough Starter From Scratch – Day 6 - July 25, 2014