I recently got myself a nut milk bag. I sprout constantly, have attempted a sourdough culture and I really love making coconut milk kefir. But my own non-dairy milks? Now that I hadn’t done. Nothing much happened with my new purchase at first. As excited as I was, I couldn’t decide what I wanted to make. Now? I’m thoroughly addicted.
Quinoa milk isn’t a beverage I’ve bought or tried before but I was already cooking a batch of mixed ancient grain (coloured) quinoa to go with lunch today. I ended up with the quinoa in my stirfry and a glass of Cinnamon Quinoa Milk to wash it down with. The leftover pulp from milk making? Perfect with my morning muesli or oats – no wastage here if I can help it.
So, if you’re like me and have only drunk your nut, seed or grain milks from a package I have incredibly good news for you – making your own milk is ridiculously easy! They taste better – fresh, delicious and clean with no oils or additives. Yum!
- 1 cup quinoa grain
- 2 cups + 5 - 6 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (optional)
- Either soak quinoa overnight in water and drain on the day of cooking OR rinse quinoa under running water to remove bitter saponins.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water.
- Add cooked quinoa to blender with 2 cups of water. Blend on high until smooth
- Add water to the desired consistency, blending the mixture after each addition. Up to 6 cups total of water may be needed for the consistency of store-bought non-dairy milks. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon and agave if using
- Pour milk into nut milk bag, hold over a bowl or large jug. Massage contents until all liquid has passed through the material - leaving only the 'pulp' behind.
Do you make your own nut milk? What’s your favourite variety to drink?
Latest posts by Alison Murray (see all)
- Recipe Redux: Choc Chip Protein Banana Bread - November 22, 2015
- The Recipe Redux: Salted Date and Cashew Energy Balls - October 22, 2015
- Pucker Up Lemon Coconut Protein Bars - October 12, 2015
- Product Review: The Ultimate Australian Wellness Bundle - October 6, 2015
- Immune Boosting Garden Herb Stock - October 4, 2015