Nothing beats a homemade energy or protein ball as a quick, easy and delicious snack! With only five ingredients (and the optional added natural sweeteners), these protein balls are always one of my favourite frozen treats. Yes, you heard me, we’re chilling out with our protein snacks today, as these babies are made with a big whack of high protein, superfood quark cheese.
I’ve told you before how much I love quark and cottage cheese and it’s with good reason – they’re both high in slow-release casein and whey protein as well as calcium, riboflavin and B12. Pretty impressive right? It’s actually not the only superfood ingredient you’ll find here though, as this recipe also contains almond butter, oats and antioxidant rich cacao (or cocoa powder) for a truly delicious, frozen protein snack.
Now, if you’re going to get through these quark energy balls quickly, go ahead and keep them in the fridge for up to a week. Freezing however really allows these snacks to firm up for a denser, chewier and more satisfying texture – just remember to allow them to thaw slightly before chowing down! Pop some in your bag on the way to the gym for a perfectly thawed, chewy snack after you’ve finished your workout. Defrost a couple overnight and then chow down with breakfast for a morning energy hit.
Orrrrrr just eat one because you’re craving a natural snack bite filled with superfood wholegrain, nut and dairy ingredients! They are satisfyingly nutty, chewy and are only mildly sweet – go on, make a big batch and freeze these bad boys now!
- 250g quark or cottage cheese
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup no additives whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tbsp cocoa/raw cacao powder
- optional: small amount of stevia, honey or maple syrup to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, stir until well combined. Roll mixture into 12 balls and place on a baking paper lined baking sheet.
- Loosely cover with aluminium foil and freeze for 30 minutes. Store in fridge for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Allow to thaw at room temperature for approx 5-10 minutes before eating from freezer,