Welcome to the first Smoothie OTW for 2014, as well as one with perfect timing to celebrate my birthday (I turned 31 yesterday)! We had a quiet blogger turnout over the holiday period and I hope we all had a fantastic Christmas (or other seasonal holiday) with our loved ones and a fantastic New Year’s Eve 😀 I was away for a week while Kam and I stayed with my parents interstate and I really missed my normal food routines – including my daily fresh smoothies, juices and fermented drinks. So believe me when I say I’m really excited to get back into the Smoothie of the Week celebrations!
Remember to invite your favourite bloggers to link-up in the future too; this is an open community event for everyone who loves to drink real food.
While it was extremely quiet on the blog over Christmas, we had four fabulous recipes linked up to SOTW while the rest of us took a break. A big thanks to Vegan Adventures, In Search of Yummy-ness and Green Organic Mamas for keeping the magic alive with their Winter Breakfast Sunrise Smoothie, Orange Spiced Hot Apple Cider, Quick Sorrel Drink and Peach Sherbet Smoothie! I got to try all of these recipes – except for the sorrel as I can’t buy that here – and they were all fabulous. Your ingredient ingenuity always has me in awe of your wholefood recipes ladies 🙂
Winter Breakfast Sunrise Smoothie – Vegan Adventures
Orange Spiced Hot Apple Cider – In Search of Yummy-ness
Quick Sorrel Drink – In Search of Yummy-ness
Peach Sherbet Smoothie – Green Organic Mamas
Smoothie OTW Link-Up Guidelines:
- This link party will start at 12pm Sundays and end at 8pm Thursdays (AEST).
- Enter up to 3 links on relavent topics (see above). The post may be your newest, or from your archive – it doesn’t matter, we want to see it! Linked recipes should focus on wholefood, unrefined and unprocessed ingredients.
- Link to your specific post for each entry, not the main page of your blog. Enter your post description in the “NAME” space on this form (not YOUR name). Please do not add links that promote giveaways, online shops or other link parties.
- You must link back to the party, either through a text link or button on your post (available below in two sizes). Leave a comment on the link-up page if you like and visit some other posted links that pique your interest – it’s a community event after-all! Mentioning the link-up on social media is encouraged and will help this event grow to build a strong community based on real food recipes.
- Every week I will pick 3 posts to feature on the Smoothie OTW Link-Up post. By entering your link, you are giving permission to use any part of your post (including images) in a spotlight on Om Nom Ally. Proper credit and links will always be given to you. Posts are also promoted on the Om Nom Ally social media channels and added to the Smoothie OTW Pinterest board.
Smoothie OTW Link-Up (Week 7)[inlinkz_linkup id=357678] (Return to top)
Ally’s Smoothie OTW: Lime & Date Protein Smoothie
If you took part in the recent Paul’s Warehouse giveaway that was running on the blog, you’d know about my mammoth fitness goals for the years. Well, one week in and I’m going strong (if a little exhausted)! Running again has been feeling amazing and I’m really confident about keeping it up. I’ve also been enjoying lots of yummy protein smoothies – including this one I’ve made a couple of times this week with sweet limes, dates and a pinch of spirulina powder with my favourite grass-fed whey protein concentrate.
- 1½ cups coconut water
- 1 banana
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 2 tsp spirulina
- 2 scoops protein powder of choice
- Blend all ingredients in high powered blender until smooth (I use and recommend the Optimum blender range). Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.