I can’t believe I haven’t found time to post since last month’s Recipe Redux link up – I really need to improve my work-life balance 🙁
This month’s group share event is all about “Creative Quick Breads” and you betcha I was going to pull out a protein powder recipe as lately I need as much fuel as possible for my busy work weeks.
“The holiday baking season is upon us. And this month we’re going way beyond grandma’s banana bread. From sweet to savory and whole-grain to gluten-free, show us your new quick bread creation fresh from the oven.”
Made with ripe, sweet banana and choc chips, you could be forgiven for thinking this quick bread was super sinful. What you’ll love however is how I’ve combined those ingredients with lots of healthy wholegrain flours and protein-rich eggs. There’s also yoghurt and a whopping big dose of protein powder for a satiety and metabolism-boosting afternoon snack 🙂
I know you want to get the healthiest chocolate chips for your protein bread too and I’ve been using Enjoy Life Mini Chips for forever. They’re free from dairy, nuts and soy and only contain three ingredients (evaporated cane juice, chocolate liquor (non-alcoholic) and cocoa butter). These are the best you can get when your baking needs a chocolate hit!
Lets get baking!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 1 large organic, biodynamic or free range egg
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole spelt flour
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup protein powder of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C Grease and line a 20 x 10cm loaf pan and put aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed banana, natural yoghurt, beaten egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract until well combined. In another bowl whisk together flours, protein powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the yoghurt mixture and mix until just combined. Add chocolate chips and fold through mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top gently. Bake for 50-60min or until skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Can be refrigerated for up to a week, or frozen for up to 3 months.